The Legislature now has the information they need from the Revenue Estimating Conference to begin setting the State Budget targets for each appropriations bill. With the current year, FY2020, state revenue and the rainy day fund up $76.0 million, there are significant funds on hand to deal with unforeseen circumstances that may or may not be related COVID-19. The 1.8% decrease in the estimated FY2021 state revenue is quite small, and business’ worker training needs continue to be heard across the state which maintains the relevance and value to Iowa of an $8.8 million increase in State General Aid. Over the weekend, please continue to stress the need.
- Thank them for their past support and remind them of the importance of increasing the state funding per pupil for Iowa Community Colleges through State General Aid by $8.8 million.
- The 2020 Priorities’ $8.8 million ask provides a per pupil increase of approximately $108.
- Business continues to demand skilled workers for which State General Aid provides the foundational funding to offer the high demand and very expensive educational/training programs.
- Offer a story to illustrate the need in your CC region.
To view the Iowa State Funding Per Pupil Chart produced by the Legislative Services Agency, See: https://www.iacct.com/media/cms/2019_State_Funding_Per_Pupil_2DAD4AC5CA952.pdf.
- Ask your Legislator to champion Community Colleges and State General Aid as a top priority in the 2020 Session.